One Ear Society

The Blog of the One Ear Society

one-ear-head

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Sunday Afternoon In Woodstock

Woodstock yes, Woodstock N.Y. on Sunday Afternoons they have a drum circle. In fact all the surrounding small towns appear to have drum groups, here they all come together on Sunday.
This attracts not only the regulars but the visitors from the city, off the Trailway Bus, who've come to spend the day. I think they timed the departures just right, for maximum effect. So, hop on the bus Gus.
Both in 2008 and 2009 we were up in our Woodstock studio painting when I discovered the drum circle by chance. I had heard that they gave free lessons at the community center/no drum required. Fred was not feeling well and about that same time we were reading "The Mozart Effect.". Which lauded all the reasons why music was healing, reduces blood pressure, increases the ability to learn, and that drumming resonates with the beat of your heart. I started to drum and found that it left me in a very good mood. I got Fred to comedown to the village green and before long he was drumming with me. Needless to say he was a far better drummer .Here we are
Found people from Miami drumming there, small world. Fred said he would buy me a drum but the store Out of Africa didn't have any when we got back to Miami.This past Saturday what with the 40th Woodstock celebration, I put my wish out to the universe. It was granted. I got myself a drum made in Ghana and the sound is sweet with a carved gazelle.
Just got this blog going again as I had hit my learning curve by trying to get my own video of the Woodstock drum circle up and found to my surprise, there are several already on youtube. So watch mine and if you like that view some of the others. The drum circle is sanctioned by the Town of Woodstock and as you can see from the various videos everyone is welcome. One of my friends was watching over my shoulder and his comment was "Oh look at that, even kids are doing it."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home